The COMESA Aid for Trade Strategy aims to support and strengthen the implementation of regional integration policies and programmes in the following ways:
- Enhancing coordination and effectiveness within and among regional and national institutions;
- Supporting efforts that identify and eliminate outstanding regional and national structural and capacity constraints that continually undermine the region’s ability to gain from trade liberalization opportunities;
- Supporting the effective linking of regional policy decisions, regulations and programmes with national implementation modalities in the Member States,
- Fostering enhanced domestication of the regional macro-economic and trade liberalization programmes of COMESA;
- Augmenting resource mobilisation, utilization and tracking mechanisms based on trade liberalization, trade facilitation and economic adjustment priorities of COMESA;
- Supporting the strengthening of capacities to monitor and report on progress and to apply corrective measures during the implementation of COMESA programmes.