A member of COMESA, EAC and ACP;
- A COMESA Fund Member by signature and ratification of the COMESA Fund Protocol;
- Made its assessed contribution of COM$280,000 to the Fund in 2008;
- Total amount approved for disbursement to date under RISM is €15,983,205;
- COMESA Fund Coordinating Ministry is Ministry of Finance and Economic Development Planning.
Burundi is one of the first two countries with Rwanda to benefit from the COMESA Adjustment Facility (CAF) and Regional Integration Support Mechanism (RISM) programme in 2009 and 2010 before the scope of the programme was expanded from revenue loss compensation to cover wider adjustment support. The support provided to Burundi in 2009 and 2010 contributed to revenue loss compensation as a result of joining the EAC Customs Union. In addition, the support provided in 2012 and 2013 was allocated towards activities on tax reforms, investment promotion, promotion of quality standards, ICT and Infrastructure. Additional funding under the RISM programme will be based on performance on regional commitments set out by Burundi.
Regional Integration Commitments and Targets
As part of its regional commitments, Burundi targeted by 2016 to:
- setup and ensure the continuous operationalization of its National Inter-Ministerial Coordinating Committee,
- eliminate at least 70% of NTB’s reported against the country,
- adopt EAC harmonized standards,
- finalize its trade in Services schedules in the first four priority sectors,
- sign and ratify the COMESA Common Investment Area (CCIA) Agreement,
- implement the COMESA Harmonized Road Transport Charges and implement the COMESA Carrier License.