A member of COMESA and ACP;
- Has signed the COMESA Fund Protocol;
- Made its assessed contribution of COM$520,000 to the Fund in 2015;
- Total amount approved for disbursement under RISM is € 2,310,609; and
- COMESA Fund Coordinating Ministry is Ministry of Finance and Economic Development.
The Federal Republic of Ethiopia is counting on funding from the COMESA Adjustment Facility/ Regional Integration Support Mechanism (CAF /RISM) to undertake consultations on the Implementation of the COMESA FTA, to strengthen the Capacity of the NIMCC Secretariat, to support the Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority and Ministry of Trade so as to promote the expansion of domestic trade, maintain lawful trade practices, create conducive conditions for the promotion and development of the country’s export trade. Ethiopia also aims to support the Leather Industry Development Institute, the Textile Industry Development Institute and establish the Kaizen Institute that will help entrepreneurs acquire various business skills.
Regional Integration Commitments and Targets
As part of its regional commitments, Ethiopia targeted by 2016 to:
- setup and ensure the continuous operationalization of its National Inter-Ministerial Coordinating Committee,
- to implement the regionally agreed harmonize statistical clusters,
- eliminate at least 70% of NTB’s reported against the country,
- adopt COMESA harmonized standards,
- establish an Simplified Trade Regime(STR) Agreement with Kenya,
- adopt the COMESA Common Tariff Nomenclature (CTN),
- domesticate the COMESA Customs Management Regulations (CMR),
- adopt the COMESA Competition Regulations,
- sign and ratify the COMESA Common Investment Area (CCIA) Agreement,
- implement the Double Taxation Agreement ,
- implement the COMESA harmonized axle load limit and
- implement the COMESA harmonized vehicle dimensions.