A member of COMESA and ACP;
- A COMESA Fund Member by signature and ratification of the COMESA Fund Protocol;
- Made its assessed contribution of COM$ 520,000 to the Fund in 2010;
- Total amount approved for disbursement under RISM to date is € 3,747,381; and
- COMESA Fund Coordinating Ministry is Ministry of Finance.
Zambia’s first allocation under budget support in 2012 was directed towards trade facilitation, improvement of service performance of trade related agencies, creation of an institutional mechanism for addressing trade remedies, appreciation and adoption of regional standards by the private sector and creation of cross boarder markets. In 2013, Zambia received adjustment support under project support modality and developed and began implementation of a project that is expected to improve capacities for policy formulation, implementation and coordination of regional priorities and programmes, enhance national Non-Tariff Barriers Monitoring Mechanism, enhance the facilitation of trade and enhance the enabling environment for improved performance of its value chains in leather, cotton, clothing and handloom.
Regional Integration Commitments and Targets
As part of its regional commitments, Zambia has targeted by 2016 to:
- continue the operationalization of its NIMCC,
- eliminate at least 70% of its NTB’s,
- adopt harmonised standards,
- establish trade information desks under the Simplified Trade Regime,
- adopt the CMR,
- finalise its trade in Services schedules in the three additional sectors,
- sign and ratify the CCIA agreement.